NESAD Students Winners in the Grand Circle Gallery’s Vintage Poster Contest

Victoria Burnett and Jacquelyn Schaab, two NESAD students, won first and second place in the Grand Circle Gallery’s Vintage Poster Contest.

Victoria describes the contest, “The challenge of the contest was to create an interpretation of a vintage travel poster that promotes one of Grand Circle Corporation’s travel destinations. It must highlight an aspect of the destination’s history, culture, landscapes, or attractions. Ultimately, the goal was to create a design that could become a classic image for the ages.”

Check out their winning posters!

“I picked the Eastern Europe trip from the list of Grand Circle Gallery trips, because it was a region that I have been interested in visiting, but did not know a lot about. I choose to represent Budapest, Hungary in my illustration, mainly for its ease of recognition over the other cities the trip toured. I focused on the Parliament building as well as the famous chain-linked bridge. My color palette was inspired by various vintage travel posters, which had a consistent limited color palette. The simplicity of my illustration and choice of typography was also inspired by a compilation of vintage travel posters.”

— Jacquelyn

“My poster promoted Grand Circle Travel’s “Real Affordable Costa Rica” travel destination. I wanted to create a poster that was relatively simple with an attractive and attention-grabbing image that showcased the country without stereotyping it. I decided to focus on the beauty of nature in Costa Rica. I did some research to find a landscape image that best represented the destination. Then I decided that I needed an extraelement to attract the viewer [other than the landscape.] I researched animals in Costa Rica and chose to use a tree frog since I believed it would be the most recognizable and attractive to the viewer. I rendered the images using the pen tool in Illustrator through the process of graphic translation.“

— Victoria

Grand Circle Gallery is holding a reception on May 11th from 4 to 7 pm to celebrate the designs. Be sure to check it out!

Comments

1. web site says:

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clearness on your put up is just excellent and that
    i could think you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Fine with your permission allow
    me to clutch your feed to stay up to date with imminent post.
    Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.

2. Pablo says:

Thank you for some other informative blog. The place else may I
    am getting that type of information written in such a perfect manner?
    I’ve a project that I’m simply now working on, and I’ve been at the look out for such information.

3. Jennifer says:

Is the Costa Rica poster print available for sale?

Trackbacks

1. [...] I mentioned in my Boston Adventure post, the Grand Circle Gallery held a design contest for students to make new travel posters made to look like vintage travel posters. Well, upon seeing the posters [...]

Speak Your Mind

Akismet
Protected by Akismet

Wordpress
Blog with WordPress