NESAD Students Participate in Font Aid V: Made for Japan 11

Marie-Anne Verougstraete, a graphic design teacher at The New England School of Art & Design at Suffolk University, knows how important it is for graphic designers to work for social causes, “Graphic Design has a social function: it can make a difference in social situations, can improve the environment in which people live, and can give people new ways to think about things. In a way, graphic designers serve the community and I think it’s important that they use their talent for the greater good, not just to make a living.”

This past spring, Marie-Anne and students in her Computer Typography classes participated in Font Aid V: Made for Japan.

Font Aid is a part of the Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA), an international not-for-profit
organization that supports the promotion, study, and support of type, its history and development, its use in print and digital imagery, and its designers and admirers.

Font Aid V began in March 2011 and is a collaborative project between typographers and designers to raise funds for Japan after the devestating earthquake and tsunami. According to SOTA’s site, “Nearly 300 contributors from 45 countries sent in over 500 glyphs in a single week.” The typeface is complete and ready for purchase for $20 at MyFonts, Veer,, and Linotype.

Marie-Anne had been involved with Font Aid previously after the earthquake in Haiti. Her Computer Typography classes of Spring 2010 participated in the creation of Font Aid IV: Coming Together, a font made entirely of ampersands to represent the idea of people uniting to help each other. After the disasters in Japan, she was called upon to participate in Font AID V: Made for Japan. This typeface was made up entirely of glyphs that symbolize Japan in some way.

Upon telling her students that they would be involved in the creation of Font Aid V: Made for a Japan, “They were excited to have the opportunity to work on a real world project and to contribute to a great cause. They created beautiful work. ”

Learn more about the Society of Typographic Aficianados and Font Aid here.

11 thoughts on “NESAD Students Participate in Font Aid V: Made for Japan

1. Reply Stephen Gage Mar 6, 2012 7:25 pm

Great post! Graphic design is all about creating beautiful work for the greater good! Graphic Design Canada

2. Reply car payment estimator Sep 20, 2015 11:53 am

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for info approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?

3. Reply Sep 23, 2015 4:02 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be really something which I think I’d never understand. It seems too complex and very extensive for me. I am having a look ahead on your next publish, I’ll attempt to get the dangle of it!

4. Reply 16031588160132157815871585157615751578321605161015751607 Oct 2, 2015 6:33 am

Exceptional post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed! Quite useful info specially the last part I care for such data a lot. I was seeking this specific details for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

5. Reply Dr Nights Porn Oct 12, 2015 2:02 am

There is noticeably a good deal to know about this. I believe you created some nice points in features also.

6. Reply lube Oct 13, 2015 4:37 pm

We’re glad to become visitor on this pure site, regards in this rare info!

7. Reply Pinoy Tv Serial Oct 31, 2015 6:12 am

But yet another intelligent weblog! Completely cannot wait for a whole lot more!

8. Reply Pull Up Bars Oct 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello. Excellent job. I did not count on this on a Wednesday. This can be a terrific story. Thanks!

9. Reply New England summer camps Nov 4, 2015 8:03 am

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox and today just about every time a comment is added I purchase 4 emails with comparable comment. Possibly there is certainly nevertheless you possibly can eliminate me from that service? Thanks!

10. Reply 17111604174016063216701578 Nov 18, 2015 6:06 am

Hello there, just became alert to your blog by means of Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will probably be grateful in the event you continue this in future. Several folks is going to be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

11. Reply hacamat Nov 22, 2015 6:01 am

I appreciate your data in this write-up. It is smart, well-written and effortless to recognize. You’ve my attention on this subject. I will be back.